[Discuss] Dev Ops - architecture (local not cloud)

On 12/13/2013 01:33 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> What do you do for backups and long-term archives? How do you ensure
> that, for example, every user leaves their workstation turned on 24/7?

You have a point there, but this is different from what offers higher
performance.

Personally, at work, I hibernate my Linux development machine when I
leave for the night.

There are NFS mounts for home directories that I think are on Netapp
machines.  I use a local disk for much better performance.  I have a
cron job that ping-pong backs up parts of my tree to usually non-mounted
volumes, and this is also on software raid 1. If my physical PC takes a
bad hit that takes out both disks or software goes crazy, I will lose
things, but all my real work is all under source code control, on a
Perforce server in I-know-not-what timezone.

Because my machine is usually off, anacron is what fires off that backup
when I do resume my machine.  I don't know whether there is any anacron
like way to backup a MS Windows PC when it is up.

As for others at my work, it seems every piece of equipment is on 24x7,
monitors included.  Maybe you would have better on-compliance with no
notes at all.

Back to larger questions of how to best design a system for general
purpose computing by mixed users...maybe Google Chrome makes more sense
than I had been thinking.  I have been reading that Microsoft is going
through conniptions over Dell and HP looking like they are having a good
time with new non-Microsoft machines.

-kb, the Kent who will have to look into AFS again.