[Discuss] Dev Ops - architecture (local not cloud)

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:

> A single disk performance is about 1Gbit.  So you need to make your
> storage network something much faster.  The next logical step up would
> be 10Gb ether, but in terms of bang for buck, you get a LOT more if you
> go to Infiniband or Fibrechannel instead.

How do you then share the disk among multiple machines? We went to 10GB
ethernet so that multiple computers could access the same file system on a
NAS box. With a Fibrechannel SAN, I couldn't figure out how to share the
file system, except to have one of the SAN clients be an NFS server, which
means we'd need 10GBE to get the good performance anyway. Was I wrong?

We also have a strong need for a very fast /tmp local to each machine. I
put 2 new Samsung SSD drives in a RAID 0, but for long sequential data
(our situation) the performance was similar to local 7,200 RPM drives.
They were attached to the motherboard SATA ports - would a RAID controller
make any difference? Would more drives make a difference? Would SAS make a
difference? The NAS box is much faster, but I don't want to overload the
network with all the /tmp traffic..

Daniel Feenberg
NBER