[Discuss] Dev Ops - architecture (local not cloud)

Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
>   I think it's pretty obvious why it's not performing: user home directories
> (where developers compile) should not be NFS mounted. [1]  The source
> repositories themselves should also not be stored on a NAS.

Neither of these statements are true.

User home directories is one of the best things you can do with NFS.
It's what it was designed to do after all.

Your performance problem is simple. Every Unix and Linux vendor in the
world these days defaults to setting NFS write caching off. This makes
NFS performance excruciatingly poor for lots of small writes, the kind
of behavior you see when someone compiles lots of little C files. Enable
write caching on the home directories and watch your performance improve
dramatically.

Storing repositories on NAS has less to do with yes/no and more to do
with how the code servers -- the servers that users check out and in
through -- talk to NAS and what you've done (or not done) to optimize
that performance.

--
Rich P.