[Discuss] rsnapshot vs. rdiff-backup

Kent Borg wrote:
> What mechanisms do other systems have to make this easier?  Some
> internals-to-internals data transport that is more efficient,
> opportunistic, etc., than a file interface?

Advfs has vdump and vrestore. ZFS has send and receive, and the native
Solaris tar and cpio retain ZFS file attributes. XFS has xfsdump and
xfsrestore. AFS has an impressive backup system built on the clone
mechanism.

Linux LVM has... er... dd. It works for replication and for tape dumps
but it isn't good for backups. To restore a single file you need to
restore the base volume and then restore all of the relevant snapshots
made against it.

Btrfs doesn't offer even that much. Neither GNU tar nor GNU cpio retain
extended attributes. rsync is file system to file system and whether or
not it retains extended attributes depends on the source and target file
systems. rdiff-backup is superior to rsync in this regard in that it
attempts to retain extended attributes across file systems but it still
shares rsync's limitations: no tapes or other archive streams. The
closest you can get to a 1:1 backup that I'm aware of is the port of
BSD's cpio using libarchive, but I'm not sure if it retains all of the
Btrfs file attributes.

--
Rich P.