[Discuss] rsnapshot vs. rdiff-backup

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> rsnapshot can run on BSD. It uses the rsync --link-dest feature. You
> generally have an hourly.0 directory. When rsnapshot runs it renames

Really? That may have changed in the past few years. Used to be that
rsnapshot used GNU cp's --link option to copy hourly.1 to hourly.0 after
rotation. Regardless, you still need a wrapper to handle that rotation.

> is a perl script. While rsnapshot creates snapshorts, it is really a
> backup system because it creates multiple directories.

It's not the multiple replicas that make it a backup system. It's the
discrete medium that makes it a backup system. If you put your snapshots
or replicas on the same medium as the original data and that medium
fails or is corrupted or stolen or burns to the ground then you lose it
all, originals and snapshots and replicas all together.

--
Rich P.