[Discuss] rsnapshot vs. rdiff-backup

Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using rsnapshot for several years now and I'm reasonably
> familiar with it. It was recently suggested to me to use rdiff-backup
> to copy files to a FAT32 file system because it is aware of FAT32 and
> exFAT file name restrictions. Since then I've been experimenting with
> rdiff-backup. Here are some of the high and low points of the two.

Does btrfs fit in here somewhere? I was using DragonFlyBSD for awhile,
and hammer had this mirroring feature (which duplicated the main drive's
snapshots not just current state) that seemed a lot more seamless than
what you're describing.  I think I'd rather something like that (if it
ran on OpenBSD) than have extra utility software. Thanks for the info,
though, cause that's probably the way I'll go now.

Also, apparently rsync itself has a --link-dest feature which maybe
can be used to accomplish at least some of what rsnapshot does for you,
you know, for the minimalists?
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=132509855613364&w=2

--
Mike Small