[Discuss] rsnapshot vs. rdiff-backup

On 12/03/2013 10:12 AM, Kent Borg wrote:
> A big consideration when looking at backups is to walk through the
> restore scenario: how long will it take? Will that be good enough?
>
> I have used a home-brew backup scheme ping-ponged between two
> different removable drives (one always disconnected, usually both are
> disconnected and at least one off-site) and I used the hard link
> option of rsync to store complete trees in an efficient way.
>
> The cool thing about this is that the restore time to access any given
> file is to plug in the backup and mount the partition--likely
> readonly. (Add more time or elaboration for whole disk or whole system
> restoration.)
>
> But the point is to ask how the backup will be used, not just that the
> data is theoretically in there someplace and could be pulled out.

For the most part, in my specific cases, home and work, a snapshot (eg
rsnapshot) was the best because it was easy to restore individual files
and whole directory trees. But, it should always meet the needs of the
users and in some cases legal requirements. For a large organization,
incremental backups become necessary just because of the time issues and
the size of the data.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix