[Discuss] Free Software Foundation's 2013 Giving Guide

Defective by Design's (a project of the Free Software Foundation) 2013
Giving Guide http://www.fsf.org/givingguide to avoid "trojan horses that
will spy on their recipients, prevent them from doing what they want
with their device, or maybe even block access to their favorite books or
music."

It's actually a pretty sort list and here's a summary of what they
recommend:

-Trisquel GNU/Linux instead of Windows 8;

-Lulzbot TAZ 2.0 3D printer instead of Makerbot Replicator 2;

-An FSF Membership Card instead of an iTunes gift card;

-ThinkPenguin GNU/Linux Notebook instead of a Macbook Pro;

-Getting e-books from Project Gutenberg instead of Amazon;

-Getting a phone running Replicant ("Fully free software mobile OS based
on Android") instead of one running iOS;

-Using open source peer-to-peer cloud storage software Least Authority
instead of Google Drive;

-Using MediaGoblin to host your videos instead of YouTube.

The page details the why and why not for each item. As an anti-DRM
political statement, a good list. As a gift giving guide, not exactly
offering many practical options. "Merry Christmas, I installed 'Least
Authority' on your computer, and deleted Google Drive." :-)

I've never heard of Trisquel GNU/Linux. I know the FSF has long had a
bit of a contentious relationship with Linux, trying to wedge GNU into
the name, and complaining about distributions with proprietary bits. Is
Debian not pure enough for them?

I'm not sure I've heard of Replicant either. Good lick finding a phone
with that. (So what the plan? Buy a used phone on eBay, root it, load
Replicant, then give that as a gift? The way cell service and hardware
is bundled in this country, the whole idea of a phone as a gift makes
little sense. "I got you this new phone, you just have to agree to pay
for the rest of it through exorbitant monthly fees for the next two
years. Happy holidays!")

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro