[Discuss] Mail loop advice?

Dan Barrett wrote in the Boston Linux User Group Discuss List:
>Seeking advice on terminating an email loop [...]

Followup: I was contacted by an engineer at RCN, Chris Jackman, who
helped me identify the root cause of the mail loop.  My home computer
downloads its email using fetchmail, and its postfix config was
limiting message size to 10MB, so the bounces were actually
originating from me, not from my ISP. That's why spamassassin at the
ISP didn't help.

On Chris's advice, I examined my postfix configuration:

$ postconf -d|grep message_size_limit
message_size_limit = 10240000

increased the value in /etc/postfix/main.cf, and ran "sudo postfix
reload".  A few minutes later, I received a copy of the large message
successfully, rather than causing a bounce, so the new config seems to
be working.

I don't know why this became a loop rather than just a
rejection. Regardless, HUGE KUDOS to Chris (and to whoever in BLU
forwarded him my original note) for going above & beyond the call of
duty to help a non-RCN customer.

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com