[Discuss] ssd's in linux

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Kent Borg
>
> On 11/08/2013 06:15 AM, Stephen Adler wrote:
> > I'm thinking of upgrading my linux system by adding an SSD drive to
> > use as my system disk. Has anyone done this? Any pros and cons
> > regarings using SSD's? I'm more intrested in the cons.
>
> I have been wondering the same thing, I have an empty msata slot in my
> Thinkpad, and little flash cards that fit in there are pretty cheap.
> Especially the small capacity ones: ~60GB for ~70 dollars.
>
> But flash makes me worry.  In the memory stick and SD space they like to
> go from working to not working in an instant, with no warning nor change
> to recover anything.  And recently a Linux kernel release was delayed
> when Linus' fancy SSD volume died--with no warning nor chance to recover
> anything.

Baaah.  First of all, USB & sdcard are the cheap junk.  Reliability in SSD's comes primarily from smart controllers, which USB & sdcard don't have.  If you use USB & sdcard in a way similar to your laptop hard drive, you can bet the USB & sdcard will die frequently.

Second of all, how many hard drives have you seen fail in your life?  Failures happen to everything, and I'm certain that SSD is not the first drive that ever failed in the hands of Linus.  Or anyone else.