[Discuss] Going rate for DevOps Re: Position Available

Dan Higginbotham <DHigg at OwnerIQ.com> posted:
> Linux Systems Administrator/DevOps
>  The person in this role will be focused on providing
>   operational support for our Data Warehouse (Big Data)
>   environment.... supporting enterprise scale database
>   applications in a production environment.
> Configuration Management  (chef and/or puppet); Cisco
> Firewalls/Routers/Switches; F5 BigIP?s; Sonicwall Routers
>
> Compensation
>   80k plus bonus

80???!?  My glasses are perhaps tinted strongly by the move to the Bay Area
where the DevOps buzzword burns brightly among recruiters, but that set of job
skills would easily fetch $130K in Cambridge MA back when I was hiring there
in 2010.  (It's more out west, in 2013.)

If 80K is the going rate for Boston today, I'll come there, charter a plane,
and pick up as many DevOps people as can fit on a 1-way trip west.  Recruiters
are contacting me (and each of the 6 members of my team) at the rate of 5-10
inquiries a week, for as far back as I can remember.  One day this week I got
6 LinkedIn inquiries, plus a phone call that got past our switchboard.

Come hither, to San Francisco, if you aren't satisfied with a Boston DevOps
salary!

-rich
P.S.  I surely jest, presumably y'all back east are well-compensated already.