[Discuss] Paperless falling behind the Phoneless Office?

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 03:10:20PM -0500, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Derek Martin wrote:
> >No.  In fact, I sometimes lament that I really don't know the phone
> >numbers of most of the people in my life, and (less often) think I
> >should probably spend some time learning them.
>
> Want to remember someone's telephone number? Dial it. Push the
> buttons or -- heaven forbid! -- rotate the dial.

What you're really saying is, "If you want to remember the number,
just fight human nature..."  Sure.

It's clear from this conversation that at least some of us are making
very few calls these days.  If you've ever met other people before,
you probably realize that some people have trouble remembering
numbers.  You probably also realize that it's not sufficient for most
people to use a number once to commit it to memory... some practice is
required.  And if you've ever used a smart phone before, you probably
realize that you can't generally use the dialer AND still see the
number you want to dial, which means you need to write it down or be
able to remember it long enough to switch to your dialer and punch it
in correctly.

I'm not saying any of this is HARD; I am saying that some effort is
required, and the inconvenience of it is exactly why people don't do
it.  In practice, for me at least and I'm sure plenty of other people,
"just dial it" is not sufficient.

-=-=-=-=-