[Discuss] Paperless falling behind the Phoneless Office?

On Thu, Nov 07, 2013 at 04:14:52PM +0000, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> Forget somebody's extension?  Don't you think it's silly that you
> *ever* knew anybody's phone number?

No.  In fact, I sometimes lament that I really don't know the phone
numbers of most of the people in my life, and (less often) think I
should probably spend some time learning them.

Why?  Simple: smart phones die.  They get lost.  You get mugged.
You get into accidents where your phone gets smashed.  $#!% happens.
How do you call for help if you don't know anyone's phone number?
That could take a sad day and make it a lot sadder.

And for what it's worth, while many of us techie types use the phone
less than ever, this seems not so true for "corporate" types, or even for
some non-businessy roles with many remote counterparts.  So I think the
relevance of your premise really depends on what you, and the business
you work for, do--and how big you are.

-=-=-=-=-