[Discuss] BLU's SEO

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 12:20:47PM -0400, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> I'm not volunteering any effort here (way too busy), and I'm not even
> saying that we should undertake any SEO effort; just throwing in .02 to
> clarify: The purpose of doing some of the SEO tactics that Tom mentions
> would be to increase BLU's visibility when people search for "redhat
> configuration", "apache versus nginx" etc.  This would help build the user

But BLU is not the right resource for that.

BLU is the right resource for people who want to talk about
Linux and UNIX with other users in New England.

Generic people seeking help with Red Hat configuration (a) need to
better specify their question and (b) should look at the myriad
of Red Hat-specific sites.

And that's pretty much what's wrong with the idea of SEO in the
first place: it's nothing more than an attempt to fool search
engines into according an earlier place for the wrong results.

(SEO used to be an answer to the question "how can I tell search
engines about the subjects for which people would want to look at my
site", but that can't support books, articles and consultants.)

-dsr-