[Discuss] Cinnamon 2.0 released

For those using the Cinnamon desktop environment, you may be interested
to know that this past week the project had a big update from 1.8 to
2.0. They've added a pile of new features.

This is the version that will go into the November release of Linux Mint
(16). It showed up today in whatever PPA I'm using on my Ubuntu 12.04
system. (I haven't tested it yet.) Supposedly there are builds available
for Fedora, and backports for current and some past versions of Mint.

A notable architectural change is that they've replaced a bunch of shim
libraries that used to sit on top of GNOME 3 libraries with forks of the
underlying libraries. Apparently they got sick of the GNOME libraries
changing their API with every minor release. So Cinnamon 2.0 can be
installed without a dependency on GNOME 3. (This supposedly also
benefits those who want to run GNOME 3 in parallel, as in the past some
of the GNOME 3 libraries had to be patched to support Cinnamon, and on
Ubuntu that was on top of patches to support Unity.)

The project's blog posting on the changes and new features:
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/cinnamon-2-0-released/

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro