[Discuss] unreadable sector

I've brought this up before. One of the drives in my RAID reports an
unreadable sector. I'm not worried about thisas this otherwise seems to
be a serviceable driveand I take frequent backups. One question I might
have is would I be better served by removing this from the RAID pair,
and run a full destructive bad block scan 'badblocks -wsv /dev/sda | tee
<some log file>'
The bad blocks scan should (1) reallocate the bad blocks and also give
me more detailed information on whether to replace the drive or not.

Right now the information is only showing up in logwatch, and I occasionally get an email. A replacemnt costs right now about $75 for a 7200 RPM 1TB drive at MicroCenter.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix