[Discuss] Comcast goes all encrypted video in Cambridge

Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone can tap the lines without Comcast knowing it. By encrypting the
> signals and controlling the decryption side they can lock out the moochers.

Bingo.  A few years ago I went to my exercise room in the basement to find the
TV signal blacked-out.  Investigating, I went outside and found that someone
had destructively cut the RG6 cable in about 3 places.  Just the one cable,
not the one feeding the upstairs; and not the telephone wires (as a vandal or
burglar might have done).  Had to have been done by a Comcast enforcer coming
onto my property without my permission.  Apparently, they still had my address
listed in their records as 2 separate units instead of single-family.

How annoying, but revealing in what their corporate policy motivations are.
Rather than complaining at them, I just re-routed the offending wire within
the interior walls.

-rich