[Discuss] Comcast goes all encrypted video in Cambridge

On 09/25/2013 02:22 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:

>> > It's because their physical infrastructure is completely insecure. Anyone
>> > can tap the lines without Comcast knowing it. By encrypting the signals and
>> > controlling the decryption side they can lock out the moochers.
>> >
>> > At least, that's the idea, anyway.
> I doubt if this is actually about people who climb up a pole and tap
> into Comcast's wires.   I think this is about people who have more
> than one TV in their house and decide they only want to watch the
> local broadcast news in their bedroom or PBS in the kids room and
> therefore don't lease additional equipment from Comcast.   BTW, the
> wires being "tapped" aren't owned by Comcast.   They (like Verizon)
> might offer to fix them (for a fee), but they haven't claimed to own
> them in a long time.  I admit to not having followed changes in the
> law about "must carry" and how much Comcast has to pay local broadcast
> stations for the right to carry their station, but when they start
> encrypting the local school district's channel, I think they have gone
> too far.
>
> Bill Bogstad
AFAIK: Comcast will provide you with 2 DTAs at no cost. I have 2 old TVs
still using the DTAs. The DTA gets most channels under 100 including
History, Food Network, broadcast, plus GBH Kids on 217. Usually I have
the set on when I go to bed with one of the cable channels. I don't know
if all the channels are encrypted in Newton but I am sure some of them
are. They started providing the DTAs free of charge because of the basic
channel users. I suggest you call Comcast and enquire about DTAs and how
much they are going to charge you. Should be free for 2.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix