[Discuss] Launching mplayer from firefox?

If you've already got Firefox using the appropriate plugin or external
application to handle the content type, you just need to change the
generated links from HTTP protocol links to File protocol links.

e.g. file:///net/wdmybook/tv/Chuck/season1/Chuck-1x01-Pilot.mkv
instead of http://example.com/
net/wdmybook/tv/Chuck/season1/Chuck-1x01-Pilot.mkv

Note the triple slash.

Note that you need to use proper URI syntax for local file references. It
is not proper to enter an operating-system-specific path, such as
c:\subdir\file.ext without converting it to a URI, which in this case would
be file:///c:/subdir/file.ext. In general, a file path is converted to a
URI by adding the scheme identifier file:, then three forward slashes
(representing an empty authority or host segment), then the path with all
backslashes converted to forward slashes.

It may be necessary to configure Firefox to trust local file content.  see
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Issues_:_Links_to_Local_Pages_Don't_Work

~ Greg

Greg Rundlett