[Discuss] need advice buying new tablet/laptop

A couple of comments here:
I have purchased a number of refurbished laptops and had good luck with
all. Most were from eCost and were HP factory refurbished.
My son-in-law just bought a "new" Lenovo through an eBay store and it
turned out to be refurbished. Fortunately the store agreed to take it
back or refund him some cash. They are negotiating now. There was
nothing really wrong with it other than a dent and he didn't like the
keyboard, but there is a bios fix that seems to improve things
I personally prefer HP/Compaq and Lenovo.
WRT: Python, while you probably can get an Android tablet to run Python,
I think you are better off with a low-priced laptop running a full Linux
distro. Not only does it support Python but you also have access to
editors and IDEs. I use Xemacs for all my development. Also, tablets, as
much as I like them, do not have the USB support you have on a laptop,
and also do not have hard drives.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix