[Discuss] need advice buying new tablet/laptop

I don't know of any laptops with e-ink displays.

I've been happy with my Acer Aspire laptop with a 15.6-inch screen, which I
bought at Micro Center in Cambridge a couple years ago. The laptop itself
was $250, and I also bought a couple sticks of RAM to max out the laptop to
8 GB. I imagine this year's model would accept more than 8 GB of RAM.

If you're looking for a low-cost, good-quality generic laptop that works
well with Linux, then I give high marks to the Acer.

The graphics chip is fairly basic, so it wouldn't be suitable as a high-end
gaming machine, but then I imagine gaming machines must run a lot higher
than $300.

The model I bought has a regular hard drive, but I would imagine they must
have a model with an SSD drive as an option.