[Discuss] Why are all my hard drives slow on Ubuntu? (new computer)

You mentioned 32-bit Ubuntu, but is both Knoppix and Windows 7 32-bits
What happens when you boot a 64-bit ubuntu. Also how much RAM do you
have in that box. Should not make a significant difference on your Live
CDs. I would also suggest that you test another Linux distro, such as
Fedora  live. Also, I assume the underlying file system is EXT4??