[Discuss] Why are all my hard drives slow on Ubuntu? (new computer)

Daniel Barrett <dbarrett at blazemonger.com> writes:

>>> I'm running the PAE version of the kernel...
>>What does free reveal for available RAM?
>
> 32GB, of course! :-)

> Mem:      33146880     603752   32543128          0      98460     309512
> -/+ buffers/cache:     195780   32951100
> Swap:     33496060          0   33496060

I think all of these questions about BIOS version, RAM, etc are red
herrings, because the hardware clearly works fine in some (software)
configurations and not in others, which implies the hardware itself is
fine and it's the software to blame.  SO.....

Look for software differences:

* Perhaps try to run the Knoppix Kernel on Ubuntu?  Or at least a
  similar version?

* Try the extra command-line options to the kernel as pointed out
  earlier.

* Check the actual drivers to see if you have the same kernel modules
  installed/running (lsmod).  For example, maybe it's a UHCI v *HCI issue?

* Check your module configuration parameters between the working and
  non-working systems

Good Luck!

-derek