[Discuss] Why are all my hard drives slow on Ubuntu? (new computer)

Dan,
The dmesg output turned out to not help too much, it just became clear
that these were two very different kernels.

However, there is one kernel option that Knoppix is using that you might
try to add to the Ubuntu build:
  libata.force=noncq

You can get a little more information on this here:

http://www.howtoeverything.net/linux/hardware/ubuntu-freeze-issue-after-ssd-upgrade

Basically, if you've got SSD drives and it gets in the 1.5Gb mode (which
it is), you can have serious problems.

Also, I concur with others on the list that you really should be using a
64-bit kernel.

HTH,
Matt