[Discuss] Simple server monitoring

Rajiv Aaron Manglani wrote:
> setup an account, install their agents on your server, and they host
> all the monitoring, alerting, and charting pieces for you.

Which does entail giving a third party deep access to your servers to
perform all that monitoring.

I have to laugh at the "puppies and rainbows" comparison between their
Scout application and Nagios. Installing Nagios client and server is a
single apt-get command and two passwords, one for the MySQL database and
one for the web interface administrator. Red Hat folks need to add the
EPEL repository before running the equivalent yum command.

--
Rich P.