[Discuss] Effort to repeal Mass Tax on Software Services

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu)
<blu at nedharvey.com>wrote:

> > From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> > bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Greg Rundlett
> >
> > I think most people, and virtually all people on this list, would view
> this
> > tax as both unjust and counterproductive.
>
> "Unjust?"   I fail to see injustice.  Injustice is when there's a
> disproportional relationship between somebody's actions and the actions
> that are against them.

I said unjust because electricians, lawyers and accountants aren't being
taxed on their services, so why should (we) technology consultants?  Unfair
or unequal are perhaps more accurate terms.

> Counterproductive?  A matter of perspective.  It's counterproductive for
> me, as somebody who has to pay a tax.  It's productive for the other
> people, who are the recipients.

Counterproductive because it's likely to cost a service provider more than
6% of revenue in order to understand, and avoid or comply with the tax in
terms of consulting with clients, their own staff training, accounting and
recordkeeping, re-structuring of products and services. I know US/MA tax
laws are anything but fair and simple but that doesn't make another complex
(impossible) tax a good idea.  At best, the legislature is forcing
technology companies to be more administration (accounting, tax and legal)
heavy.  In reality, large companies will bid out and receive consulting
services from vendors in other states.