[Discuss] NSA capabilities

[please update the subject; it has nothing to do with KeePassX]

Richard Pieri wrote:
> I assert that the NSA have compromised the public CAs just as they have
> compromised the service providers.

Plausible.

> Certificate + handshake = session key => decrypted session in real time.
> Any user, any session, any time, any reason. No cryptanalysis needed. No
> brute force needed.

I haven't looked at reference material to refresh my understanding on
this, so it may be wrong, but my recollection is that a CA compromise
would only facilitate man-in-the-middle attacks.

The CA is there to sign the customer's public key. I don't think this
necessitates that the CA generate the key-pair or have possession of the
private key. A quick Google confirms this:

http://www.sslshopper.com/what-is-a-csr-certificate-signing-request.html

  A CSR or Certificate Signing request is a block of encrypted text that
  is generated on the server that the certificate will be used on. ... A
  private key is usually created at the same time that you create the
  CSR. ... A certificate authority will use a CSR to create your SSL
  certificate, but it does not need your private key. You need to keep
  your private key secret.

So an NSA agent possessing the CA root could generate a new key pair,
sign it with the CA key, and impersonate any server using that
authority. This could then be used as part of a man-in-the-middle
attack, where you think you are connecting to https://gmail.com/, but
actually you're conversing with an NSA proxy.

Given that most users are unaware of CA changes at sites they visit, the
NSA really only needs one CA root from a common CA and they could
generate impersonation certs at will. (Some "unified threat management"
appliances (a.k.a. corporate proxy servers) do this.)

But these impersonation certs don't help them recover the session key
for a captured SSL session. The NSA could still issue a security letter
to the server owner, and get the private key that way, but that
constrains them much more that what you alluded to.

(Undoubtedly there are CAs who, as a matter of convenience, generate the
key pair, and could be compelled by the NSA to retain the private key. I
believe when I generated a cert for S/MIME at StartSSL they generated
the key pair. Some CAs use browser side tech - ActiveX or JS - to
generate the key. Clearly your best bet is to use known and trusted open
source tool to generate the key pair on your own machine, and only
submit a CSR to the CA.)

> The more that is encrypted, the more known text the NSA has available
> for side-channel attacks. The more that is encrypted, the more
> chances of a hash collision occurring or a pseudo-random key being
> reused. Scaling up works in the NSA's favor...

This strikes me as a wild assertion and I don't follow the logic.