[Discuss] KeePassX

> From: discuss-bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org [mailto:discuss-
> bounces+blu=nedharvey.com at blu.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Barrett
>
> In the absence of the 4096-bit private half of my key, how hard is it
> to decrypt the session key by brute force and thereby decrypt file
> Foo? Do the time arguments from this KeePass discussion apply?

The effective strength of RSA or DSA 4096 is 128 bits or 256 bits, depending on some stuff I'll just allude to and brush over.  This means 2^128 or 2^256 "operations" to be guaranteed a breach, where "operations" is a potentially complex and time consuming constant.

Essentially, 2048 bit or 4096 bit RSA or DSA keys are incredibly strong.  Until somebody figures out how to do fast prime factorization.