[Discuss] email privacy/security

On 08/05/2013 02:49 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> What harm? The NSA has an effectively unlimited budget.

For what values of "effectively"?  Even the NSA needs to get money
appropriated.  Make them put extra zeros on the end and it matters.

> If your foes include lesser organizations then maybe you are correct.
> It depends on what resources they have to bring to bear.

The mass snooping effectively is the "lessor organization" you refer
to.  There is a world of difference between putting a lot of talent on a
difficult target (think cold war, with one or two real enemies) vs.
aiming at hundreds of millions of targets...up to billions. Yes, there
are billions of us, and they want it all, even the communications of
multitudes of poor people in unhappy lands.  They are trying to snoop on
everything.  Little roadblocks matter, if the snoops' responses to the
roadblocks don't scale really easily, little roadblocks make all the
difference.

What does it take to grab all the e-mail running in the clear through
ISP X?  A good data link to Utah (or wherever), and not that much
hardware at key choke points  Conversely, what does it take to do MitM
attacks on all the e-mail running through ISP X?  (And where will you
fit all that equipment in ISP X's server room? And where will you get
the power?  Or do you do it remotely, say, in Utah, with latency and
reliability problems undermining ISP X's cooperation?  And how many
server warehouses would it take no matter where they put it?)

These are unchecked bureaucrats. How competent could they be?  How easy
a task have they had so far?  A little monkey wrenching could completely
change their cost curve--if widely adopted.

-kb