[Discuss] email privacy/security

On 08/05/2013 11:30 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> S/MIME is that it depends on a certificate authority to issue X.509
> certificates.

And we know that they can't be trusted.  But, a big realization I had
recently is that even flawed crypto is valuable.

Okay, maybe ROT-13 isn't worth much.  But ROT-12, being a bit more
obscure, starts to be useful.  And something that requires a
man-in-the-middle attack, is very valuable.

Why?  Because it is expensive to mount an active crypto attack--at least
when their apparent goal is to snoop on *everything*.  And even
something that yields immediately to a trained human requires drawing on
the limited supply of trained humans.

Snooping on everything is expensive and technically challenging to begin
with.  Mounting separate active MitM attacks is orders of magnitude more
difficult.  Making a human pay look at specific instances screws their
automated vacuum cleaner entirely.

Good cryptography is great. Flawed cryptography--even just using obscure
non-standard compression and binary data formats--makes your foes work
for it.  And active MitM attacks completely changed the economics.
Don't give them plaintext for the price of a tap and a data path back to
their servers.  Make them work for it.  Make them wonder whether the
work will even be worth it (because maybe you are using good
cryptography with a good key).  Send pure high-quality random data if
you are so inclined, just to worry them.

-kb