[Discuss] Effort to repeal Mass Tax on Software Services

 > Serious question: is there any evidence that legislators care about
 > these petitions?

This is a bit out of left field, but I used to be the head of a
largish community organization (the combined neighborhood associations
of Cambridge).  The Mayor and City Council were all liberal and
Democrat.  The Mayor (Frank Duehay) was an academic as well and,
at the time, the head of the US Conference of Mayors.  In a
face-to-face exchange over proposed changes to our zoning law (to
curb over-building), these were the exact words from the Mayor of
"our fair city":

  You're right, but irrelevant; you don't deliver any votes.

That was educational and factual.  Petitions, to be effective,
need to be like tracer bullets for artillery to follow.  If the
recipients believe you have no artillery, you may get, at best,
sweet talk.  I might also add that being defeated when you are
visibly right can, if well played, build a base for your issue.

Carpe diem,

--dan