[Discuss] Mass. outlawed independent contractors in software and other creative professions in 2004

Mark:

Yes, the below is IMHO correct, but the issue is much bigger than
that.  For example, Workers Comp.  The government was aware of the
fact that it was "difficult to tell" who was covering workers
comp, and they hated that.  So, they made the end customer
(deepest pockets) responsible for ensuring somebody was.
Just one small "administrative law" example.

Government wants the masses to think that all forms or labor, all
structures of entities through which people can bill are "tax
neutral".  I.e., it doesn't matter how you structure it, the
same amount of tax is owed, regardless.

Trusts, corporations, LLCs, aka "persons"; "individuals",
all have very specific meaning in law.  Law is all about
specific meaning.

Tax neutrality is a fairy tale that insatiable government
hopes everyone believes.

Mechanically, more complex structures make the tax agencies
work harder to pin the tail on the donkey.  Legally, less
conventional structures highlight (let's call them) "Liability
holes" in jurisdiction.  I've been blessed to be a witness
to many of the legal battles in this and related areas.

This is a blog about *nix and computer contracting, so I
won't continue down the above train of logic (although I know
that many on this list know the real story), suffice it to
say that all these actions by the government are aimed at
maximizing tax revenue.  It has nothing to do with fairness.
If computer workers wanted fairness, they would need to hire
people to lobby and play the same games (in representative
government) that the unions play.

I'm not a lawyer giving legal advice, or an accountant
giving tax advice.  To do so would be technically illegal
(nice, huh?).

To give advice in these areas is regulated by government,
just as doctors are regulated in giving a medical prognosis.

What I would advise is NOT always to believe the so-called
"experts", and conventional wisdom, and do the research
yourself regarding these very well researched areas.

It all begins in Philadelphia in 1776.  It is quite a story.
You have to start at the beginning for it to make sense.

Some things have changed in 225 years, but many technically
remain the same, at least in theory.   Unfortunately, the
courts have been assigned the role of "umpire", and have not
been doing their "check and balance" thing very well.

Thanks,
Jim Gasek