[Discuss] Android Exploits Found in the Wild

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 10:40:42PM -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> John Abreau wrote:
> >By that logic, if today I want to try a pizza at a new restaurant
> >that just opened last week,
>
> No, because eating is a necessity. Buying a smartphone is buying
> into planned obsolescence.

So?  So is:

 - buying a college education (!)
 - buying a desktop computer
 - buying a home theater system
 - buying most anything electronic, for that matter
 - buying lots of other things...

That doesn't mean they can't make your life better, and it certainly
doesn't mean you should avoid them even if they might, just because
eventually they will in some sense be obsolete.  And just because
something has become technologically obsolete does not mean it has
become useless (as many a Linux user will tell you)!  And as another
example, there are still musicians who use MiniMoogs and Oddesys, and
even prefer them (at least sometimes) to more modern digital
synthesizers with far more features and capabilities, for example.
You'll still find plenty of Yamaha DX-7's, Korg M1's, Roland D-50's
etc. in professional keyboardists racks, despite the fact that they're
all 25+-year-old electronic devices, because the sounds they
produce are revered and timeless (damn I'm getting old).  I was just
thinking about trying to pick up a DX-7 myself... there's really
nothing quite like it (well, other than its smaller cousins, like the
DX-100), obsolete though it may be.

And given that, since even my aged Droid can run a software MiniMoog
emulator, I suppose it will never truly be obsolete, either. =8^)

-=-=-=-=-