[Discuss] password amnesia

On 07/25/2013 07:44 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> So what's the objective of this exercise? Are you looking for practical
>> answers or are you just looking for reasons to shoot down the idea of
>> password safes?
>
> Just to demonstrate how frustrating it is to have strong
> authentication on small, touch screen devices.

Or, demonstrating how frustrating it is to have a bad solution.  But
most humans can cache a few passwords, and that makes all the difference.

The most common 6 or 8 passwords I use in a day I know from memory. But
when I do have to look up one, I much prefer to be on my notebook where
I can type a decent master password easily.  Using my dedicated
non-phone phone is, indeed, a pain: I have to enter a decent device
password (endpoint security!) and then I have to enter the master
password.  It takes some time.  But it is more convenient than not
having remote access.  (Old-timers: Remember when we didn't really have
any remote access to much of anything?  Okay, let that offer a little
perspective.)

-kb, the Kent who thinks it is good to *not* have really easy remote
access to his retirement or checking or credit card accounts.