[Discuss] SCO again

SCO refuses to go away.
"The Hon. David Nuffer has ruled on the SCO v. IBM motions, granting
SCO's motion for reconsideration and reopening the case, which IBM did
not object to. Judge Nuffer apologizes to the parties for the error in
his previous order refusing to reopen the case. Sounds like a mensch to
me. I love it when judges don't pretend something is the lawyers' fault
when it's really the judge's fault. He's newly assigned to this case,
and it's been going on for over a decade, so he specifically tells the
parties not to assume his familiarity, asking them to provide him with
enough detail in the various briefs going forward to work with. And he
has essentially accepted the IBM suggestions on how to go forward, which
SCO did not want to happen. I was fairly confident he would, though,
precisely because he's new and he surely needs some time and help from
the parties to get up to speed. So it's going to go like this:

     1. SCO must file a brief statement identifying the claims it agrees
are foreclosed by the SCO v. Novell judgment, the one that found that
Novell did not transfer the UNIX copyrights to SCO in 1995. That wiped
out all of SCO's claims, IBM asserts; SCO says it has two left.
     2. IBM can then object to that list, which I'm sure it will.
     3. IBM can then, by July 15, file a new motion for summary judgment
on the remaining claims and counterclaims. This is what SCO did *not*
want to happen.
     4. After that motion is decided, there will be a process and
schedule set up for the parties to respond to the court's request that
they identify summary judgment motions filed before the current judge
was assigned that they still want to be decided, which this judge will
then do".

To read more click on the link above.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>