[Discuss] TLD for Personal Use - Email

On 6/9/2013 3:31 PM, Will Rico wrote:
> Given the downside of government/corporate snooping with hosted/cloud
> email services like GMail and the overhead/complexity of running a
> personal mail server, I'm wondering how common it is for small groups
> of trusted friends to setup a single mail server for their collective
> needs.  Does anyone have experience with that type of setup?
>
> I'd love to move off of GMail, but for the time being I find GMail's
> interface much faster than alternatives.  With the intent of
> eventually dumping GMail, I started using Thunderbird several months
> back to access my mail via IMAP, but found mail messages
> loaded/rendered slower, all operations seemed slower, and the search
> feature was both slower and less accurate.

Will,

I get the impression that you are confusing email with groupware.

If you are concerned about preventing  a stranger from reading your
email, you can purchase or create a digital certificate that makes it
much less likely, no matter what path the bits take on their way from
your email client to someone else's email client.  That is what "SSL' is
for.

If, however, you are interested in being able to share documents and/or
email with a /group/ of collaborators, then you'll probably be
interested in things such as W.A.S.T.E. or other groupware, all of which
provide for encrypted file sharing by groups of users.

HTH.

Bill