[Discuss] TLD for Personal Use - Email

Given the downside of government/corporate snooping with hosted/cloud
email services like GMail and the overhead/complexity of running a
personal mail server, I'm wondering how common it is for small groups
of trusted friends to setup a single mail server for their collective
needs.  Does anyone have experience with that type of setup?

I'd love to move off of GMail, but for the time being I find GMail's
interface much faster than alternatives.  With the intent of
eventually dumping GMail, I started using Thunderbird several months
back to access my mail via IMAP, but found mail messages
loaded/rendered slower, all operations seemed slower, and the search
feature was both slower and less accurate.

Will