[Discuss] TLD for Personal Use - Email

On 06/08/2013 10:34 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> GIS is one of the last remaining independent ISPs.

Is that the same as Galaxy? If so, I heard they are shutting down.

> Having your own domain is useful, and you can do this through Google
> as well. Gmail is free and has a lot of storage, and they support both
> POP3 and iMAP.

You can do your own domain through gmail (instead of gmail.com) if you
want to pay money. (Bonus: if you want some lost e-mail years hence you
can file a FoIA request with the government!)

I still run my own e-mail server in my basement on a static IP DSL
connection. My spam filtering isn't as good as Google's, but between
spamassassin and client filtering (Thunderbird) it isn't overwhelming.

Yes, the definition of the "correct" way to run an e-mail server has
changed through the years and I am due to replace the hardware...but
mostly I can ignore it and it just runs.  But when something goes wrong
instead of wondering how to get "them" to fix it, I get to/have to fix
it myself.  Advice: if you do it yourself don't offer accounts to
others, it makes my life much simpler with only me, my wife, and one
occasional techie friend as users.

-kb