[Discuss] TLD for Personal Use - Email

On 06/08/2013 09:56 AM, jbk wrote:
> I've been thinking of registering for a domain for my personal and
> immediate family use for mainly email. I have no interest in
> maintaining a web site or posting albums online.
>
> I've visited sites like Bluehost and read the terms of service at
> Dreamhost and the linked terms at ICANN.
>
> I have a couple email addresses I use, one for communications with
> friends, family and commerce and another for an organization I belong
> to. My wife also has multiple addresses for personal and business
> purposes.
>
> I want to have POP access to the email service provided by the host at
> mydomain.net. This so that all the organized collection of my mail and
> contacts is on my computer.
>
> My idea is that once I set up this domain with a reputable hosting
> site and maintain the registration per the rules that I can expect to
> have this internet presence for a long time.
>
> I've had the good fortune of my current email service has been
> providing that stable presence for the past 12 years but now they are
> ceasing to exist in the next 30 days so my hand is being forced.
>
> I assume others are doing this here on blu.org and some would say just
> get a gmail account and POP to that. So I'm looking for some Pro's and
> Con's of either way.

GIS is one of the last remaining independent ISPs. Having your own
domain is useful, and you can do this through Google as well. Gmail is
free and has a lot of storage, and they support both POP3 and iMAP. I
prefer iMAP because I can access my email from many different platforms
(tablet, Android phone, web, and home via Thunderbird or other email
client. . POP3 is a download protocol. You can certainly leave your
email on the server.  Most of the hosting sites are web services that
also offer email. Google and Yahoo are primarily email services in this
context. While I don't expect that either Google or Yahoo will cease to
exist, they could change their terms of service.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix