[Discuss] TLD for Personal Use - Email

I've been thinking of registering for a domain for my
personal and immediate family use for mainly email. I have
no interest in maintaining a web site or posting albums online.

I've visited sites like Bluehost and read the terms of
service at Dreamhost and the linked terms at ICANN.

I have a couple email addresses I use, one for
communications with friends, family and commerce and another
for an organization I belong to. My wife also has multiple
addresses for personal and business purposes.

I want to have POP access to the email service provided by
the host at mydomain.net. This so that all the organized
collection of my mail and contacts is on my computer.

My idea is that once I set up this domain with a reputable
hosting site and maintain the registration per the rules
that I can expect to have this internet presence for a long
time.

I've had the good fortune of my current email service has
been providing that stable presence for the past 12 years
but now they are ceasing to exist in the next 30 days so my
hand is being forced.

I assume others are doing this here on blu.org and some
would say just get a gmail account and POP to that. So I'm
looking for some Pro's and Con's of either way.

Jim Kelly-Rand