[Discuss] Low Cost Internet?

On 06/07/2013 12:07 PM, Will Rico wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation for low cost Internet service for
> someone with neither cable television or home telephone service?
> [...]  I'm looking to make a recommendation to a friend in Somerville.

My wife uses a "Freedompop" wifi gizmo when she rides the bus in town
with her wifi-only Ipad, and she likes it.  The "Freedom Spot - Photon"
is very small and works perfectly for her. They have other hardware
choices, too.

The price is low: "free", though there was a "deposit" on the hardware
(I don't know what the means, I figure I made a purchase, and I think
they changed their terminology since).  The free deal is 500MB a month.
If you want more you can pay money for more data, and you can perform
marketing tasks to get more data. If you don't use it all for a month
(less than 5MB) they charge 99-cents on the "free" plan.

Their business model is a bit odd and I wouldn't be surprised if it
changed in a big way, but for the moment I paid $105.99 in January and
it has worked well for 5-months on that money, and appears to keep
working.  Already a good deal, each month it keeps working a better deal.

For casual, light usage, it is great--faster than my home DSL.

-kb