[Discuss] choice of hypervisor (was gracefully shutdown guests)

You're right, it's not dead after all. Google, Amazon, and other big users
picked up the development slack, and Citrix (which bought Xensource, the
original backer of Xen) opened up the project to make it possible. The
slideshow on xenproject.org (
http://www.xenproject.org/component/allvideoshare/video/latest/how-to-almost-kill-a-successful-project-and-then-bring-it-back-to-life-lessons-learned-from-the-xen-project.html)
tells a bit of the story.

A bare metal hypervisor like Xen makes sense in some use cases, and a
userspace-oriented one like KVM makes sense in others. It's good to have a
choice.