[Discuss] gracefully shutdown guests

> From: Dan Ritter [mailto:dsr at randomstring.org]
>
> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 04:07:20PM +0000, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> > Around fedora 16 or so, they disabled the acpi power button.  There are
> some hoops you can jump through to re-enable it, but the only result you
> can get is an interactive prompt, while a user is logged in.  There's isn't any
> option to unconditionally shutdown, and there isn't any option to do it while
> nobody's logged in.
> >

> Can you run an instance of acpid with just the appropriate config
> to call "shutdown -h now"?

Don't know why it doesn't work (perhaps the *other* acpi trap is catching it? gnome-power-manager and upower are installed by default)  but acpid doesn't work.
Well - by default - acpid is not installed.  But even after installing it (and rebooting, for good measure) no, it doesn't work.

Perhaps I could dig into gnome-power-manager, upower, and acpid.  Perhaps I could figure it out.  But it's already a time sink.  For now I've decided to "savestate" the guest machine instead of shutting it down.