[Discuss] Smarthosting (Sending mail through Google) with Postfix

I've just setup a LAMP host which of course needs to be able to send email
for all kinds of reasons.  In addition to notifications sent out by
monitoring systems or cron, my websites (like wikis) and other systems need
to send email, e.g. Subversion commit notifications.

I typically set up Postfix to smarthost (relay) through a Google Apps
account.

I'm curious about one particular aspect:  When setting this up on Debian or
Ubuntu, it seems like you don't need to incorporate an SSL key into the
Postfix setup.  However, my latest install on RedHat6 does need it.  Can
anyone confirm or deny based on their experience.  Explanations also
welcome.

For example: One guide [1] includes the security certificate part which
seems necessary under RedHat but which doesn't seem necessary under Debian
or Ubuntu [2].

[1] https://blog.wormly.com/2008/11/05/relay-gmail-google-smtp-postfix/
[2] http://braiden.org/?p=15

Thanks,