[Discuss] Unable to disable Wake On Lan

On 05/13/2013 02:50 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM,  <edwardp at linuxmail.org> wrote:
>> Upon upgrading Debian Linux (64-bit) Squeeze (6) to Wheezy (7), the on-board
>> NIC (Realtek) will not shut down when the system is brought down.  I
>> discovered this when the port light on the router remained on.  However, in
>> Windows 7, the NIC shuts down properly.
>>
>> In Squeeze, for the NIC to shut down properly, I added 'post-up ethtool -s
>> eth0 wol d' to /etc/network/interfaces under the primary network interface
>> information:
>>
>> #The primary network interface
>> auto eth 0
>> iface lo inet loopback
>> post-up ethtool -s eth0 wol d
>>
>> This information was retained after the upgrade, however Wheezy seems to be
>> ignoring this now.  The only way at present to get the NIC to shut down
>> after a Linux session, is to open a terminal window and manually entering
>> the ethtool command above.  Then it sticks.  Upon a reboot, ethtool eth0
>> shows Wake on Lan back to the 'g' setting.
>>
>> I have also added post-down with the same ethtool command as above in
>> /etc/network/interfaces and also added the ethtool command to /etc/rc.local
>> before the 'exit 0' line.  Neither of these two worked.
>>
>> Are there any other things worth trying?
> Are you 100% certain that those commands are actually getting
> executed?   Without error?
> I would probably try replacing the command(s) with a shell script that
> logged any errors while running
> the same command.   Think of  this as the moral equivalent of
> "printf() debugging" for system configuration
> files.  It's not elegant, but it can be useful.

I would suggest trying this from the command line:
sudo ethtool -s eth0 wol -d
Another thing is:
sudo ethtool eth0
This will dump all the capabilities of  eth:
     Supports Wake-on: g
     Wake-on: d
Also check status of /sys/class/net/eth0/device/power/wakeup
The values will be enabled or disabled
To disable:
sudo echo disabled > /sys/class/net/eth0/device/power/wakeup

In any case, by running it from the command line you can determine if
ethtool is working. You do not have to reboot since this sends commands
directly to the NIC (through the driver).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix