[Discuss] really odd GCC bug? under Ubuntu

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> I thought you meant that /usr/local/bin can be "read" if the
> /usr/local directory is not "executable".
> This is clearly not the case.

It's the way that execute and read permissions on directories interact.
Things get weird if you remove one but not the other from a directory.
When you remove both, well, behavior isn't consistent across different
Unixes and Linux kernels. I don't recall when the Linux kernel behavior
changed but clearly I forgot that it had.

The GCC issue is that files in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include are
optional (unless GCC is itself installed in /usr/local). If these don't
exist then GCC skips past them. This is not an error condition. If these
exist but are unreadable for some reason then GCC throws an appropriate
error. This is an error condition.

--
Rich P.