[Discuss] Home Routers

hey

On Fri, 10 May 2013 20:08:27 -0400, Chris O'Connell <omegahalo at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'm thinking it's time to replace my TZ190, it's old, and kind of low end
> by today's standards.

i had one of the original linksys WRTs and just retired it as i kept
needing to restart it in order to get the wireless to work. i think it had
to do with the WPA2 encryption i was trying to run on it ... when i
switched to WPA it wasn't as problematic.

i eventually went to overstock.com and picked up a netgrear WNDR3700v3
which is like going from a broken down tricycle to a new hybrid [bicycle,
that is]. so new hardware is often worth it.

i've used many of the firmware replacements and all of them are better
than the linksys firmware. earlier someone was hating on tomato, but it
worked fine for me. as a programmer, and open source proponent, i find the
openWRT project to be the most to my liking. it supposedly runs on my new
router, but so does DD-WRT and it's installed [couldn't find openWRT
firware when i installed and configured it]. one weekend i may try change
the firmware.

so, if you absolutely don't want to spend money, try the other firmwares-
but you'll probably be happier with new hardware.

good luck!

--
\js