[Discuss] Verizon phasing out copper

On 05/05/2013 07:36 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Randy Cole wrote:
>> Without competition or dpu regulation,
>
> FiOS is regulated. It is regulated at the local level just like every
> other cable TV service in the US.

But not in the same way copper POTS was in some very important respects.
  First, access: Vz doesn't /have/ to provide third party access (so for
example there will never be another Speakeasy, or 10-10-220 if you
remember that).  Second, while Comcast is the vocal leader on this, Vz
is right behind them: they like to claim that since it's not a POTS line
any more that the provisions of common-carrier status don't apply
(Comcast has voiced this on a few occasions in testimony to the FCC;
Verizon for it's part took the FCC to court about net neutrality last
year, wherein they basically said the same thing Comcast said
("common-carrier doesn't apply to us anymore"):

http://www.dmlp.org/blog/2012/balancing-interests-open-internet-verizon-challenges-fccs-net-neutrality-rules
).

Matt