[Discuss] Comcast in Arlington

On 04/26/2013 09:49 AM, Gary Johnson wrote:
> I have a cousin in Arlington who reports Comcast internet is terrible.  The house has in the wall cat5,
> Many service requests. She reports ' it says internet not available"
The issue here can be one or more of:
bad cat5 cable. (not Comcast's fault)
Flaky router (not Comcast's fault unless it is leased from Comcast)
Flaky cable modem (again, Comcast's fault if it is leased from Comcast)
Bad coax. Normally, the coax can cause all sorts of issues, including
issues with digital and HD TV. Some of this can be blamed on Comcast.
Lousy physical plant. Comcast generally runs fibre to the last mile, but
then you are copper from there. Can be many things. Originally, the
cable was not designed for two-way use. I don't know who was the
original cable company in Arlington, but some of the cable companies,
such as Adelphia, really had some low quality stuff.
Issues at the "node". Again, this could be some flaky hardware there.
Before Comcast, we used to have occasional outages at that levelwhere
the outages could be upwards from an hour to a few hours. Under Comcast,
(in Newton) we have had pretty reliable service.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix