[Discuss] Cable Modem Woes / Looking to Compare Notes

Hello all,

I'm looking to compare notes with people who use Comcast Internet.

For the past month or so, my wife, who works from home, has complained for
fairly regular outages with our Internet. We live in Arlington, and the
outages happen typically between noon and 4 PM. The outages are of a long
duration (sometimes seconds, sometimes a few minutes). She's begun to
become very familiar with the light patterns on the cable modem, and she's
not technical at all.

When our TV began to exhibit tiling, we called Comcast, and the technician
determined our signal wasn't strong enough. He put in new coax "from the
pole" to the side of our house.

A week or so after that, we contacted Comcast about our cable modem issues,
and another technician came out, and said the signal to our cable modem was
weak, and he took the coax from the side of the house and directly
connected it to the cable modem.

However, the outages continue to happen. Now Comcast has suggested we
replace the cable modem. We're hopeful this makes our Internet stay alive.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? My big fear is that replacing the
cable modem won't fix anything. The other cloud hanging over me: the first
technician said that the coax in our house walls are of an older
generation. He recommended that we replace it, but it's something an
electrician would have to do.

Thank you all for any thoughts on this matter!
--
Rick Umali / www.rickumali.com